As after hours home doctors in Perth, we come across a large variety of illnesses and one of the (something like more serious ones we encounter) is Impetigo. Impetigo is a contagious bacterial infection of the skin. It’s caused by either staphylococcus bacteria, or, less rarely, streptococcus bacteria; and while impetigo isn’t a dangerous disease it is highly infectious.
Adults and adolescents with eczema are especially likely to develop impetigo, and as impetigo is so easily spread through contact, it’s commonly seen in children’s nurseries and playgroups.
THE SKIN HAS MANY TYPES OF BACTERIA
Anyone suspecting impetigo in their child should see their after hours GP immediately, preferably before any risk of infection in others can occur. Many of our home doctors in perth treat impetigo with bacterial ointment such as fusidic acid or mupirocin, but will prescribe oral antibiotics in more severe cases. In treating the disease, it’s important to dissolve the scabs with ointment as the bacteria that cause the disease live underneath them.
A preschool child should not return to nursery or playgroup until all the scabs have fallen off and the child is no longer contagious. School children can usually return to school one week after the start of treatment, even with scabs, providing they don’t scratch or touch them. It’s important that they wash their hands regularly and use only their own comb, brush, face cloth or towel. You might have to explain the nature of the disease to your child’s teacher so he or she understands that the presence of scabs doesn’t necessarily mean that your child is infectious.